- Firstly, how can one stay motivated with riding/ life goals during this lock down in South Africa? I’m really struggling to stay motivated to do anything during this lockdown.. Especially exercise..
- Advice on how to stay motivated with no competitors in the near future due to the corona virus
- How do I become a stronger minded person when trying to achieve my goals for riding?
- How would one deal with a loss of progress for your horse as well as yourself coming out of lockdown for a rider who feels like they took 2 steps forward and 10 steps back now?
- Once you have decided on a goal, what is the best way moving forward?
- Where do you start and how do you determine what is the first and most important thing to tackle?
- Ideas on setting realistic long and short term goals for your riding and tips on how to stick to them and achieve them.
The article published in the last edition of HQ magazine give some very detailed ideas of how to set outcome, performance and progress goals (Visit HQ here). Even during this period of lockdown and no shows, it’s still important to be clear about what you need to achieve on a daily basis first, then look towards the performance goals you need to set, in order to be able to realistically plan for outcome goals. Want to ride a medium level dressage test? First, you have to have a really strong core, to be able to do the sitting trot and flying changes work at this level. One of the daily goals you can set yourself is to work on at this time, is to increase your own fitness. You can do a variety of online programs or even make up your own set of exercises to help strengthen your core and keep your hip flexors from tightening up. This will certainly help you when you start riding again. Struggling to reconcile that far off dream of jumping in the 1:40’s with the need to do squats and lunges today? Find a poster of your favourite riding hero in the position that you aspire to, paste it above your exercise mat, and remind yourself daily that results come from day to day work, not dreaming about having talent.
Questions: How do I deal with over analysing myself and over criticizing myself? When I look at videos of myself...
Questions: In a competition, if you’ve messed up in a dressage move in a test or had a knock or a refusal at a jump,...
Questions: I’ve been told by instructors and at clinics that I don’t try hard enough. The reason I don’t try hard...